On Sunday afternoon in Nijmegen, FC Twente failed to convert the league match against NEC into a win. The Twente formation suffered a 3-1 defeat in De Goffert. Just before the break, Lasse Schöne scored the 1-0 from the penalty spot. Conboy and Zeefuik provided the other NEC goals, after which Glynor Plet made it 3-1.​​ The Tukkers’ fullback, Nicky Kuiper made ​​his comeback after a long recovery from an injury.

In the first act, Nijmegen showed they had attacking ambitions.  Alex Pastor’s team directly sought the attack and this produced a number of opportunities, including for Nvarone For and Leroy George. Within a short space of time the attackers held the Twente goal under fire a number of times, but Mihaylov kept his team going. The Tukkers had difficulty with the NEC offensive and hardly got anywhere near the Nijmegen goal. Nevertheless, after fifteen minutes of play, Luuk de Jong got a good opportunity to open the score. The Twente striker was sent deep and was allowed to shoot from an awkward position, but Babos stood in the way of a hit. This was just about FC Twente’s only achievement in the first act. Shortly before the tea break, Lasse Schöne put the home team into the lead. Referee Wouters saw an infringement by Brama in the Tuckers’ sixteen meter area and resolutely pointed to the spot. Schöne exploited the penalty flawlessly: 1-0.

In a sunny De Goffert, FC Twente was already having to cope with an early setback in the second act. A sharply cut free kick landed at the feet of Conboy who tapped the ball in behind Mihaylov and with that, provided his team with a more comfortable lead. Reason for Steve McClaren to intervene. The coach switched Emir Bajrami for Glynor Plet and ​​more than a year after suffering his injury, Nicky Kuiper made his comeback. He replaced Tim Cornelisse. The changes had the desired effect, because within the hour the match seemed to have been played. Again Nijmegen struck hard from a standard situation, this time via Zeefuik. From a free kick, the striker headed the ball beyond the reach of the Twentse goalie: 3-0.
Fifteen minutes before the final whistle the club from Enschede clawed something back. From a corner off Ola John, Plet nodded the ball inside and with it, signed for his first goal in Twentse service. Because Chadli wasted a good chance a few minutes later, the excitement never really returned to the game and the Nijmegen team left the field as the winners.